Building A Chinese Inspired Headboard
This headboard came to be, because a client had some beautiful painted room dividers. They were starting to fall apart so she no longer wanted to use them as a room divider, but still wanted to display the Chinese art work. To preserve them, we decided to frame them and turn them into a headboard.
For more information on how to purchase a headboard from me please visit my custom furniture web page Custom Chinese Headboard for more information.
I started the project out by rough cutting and milling the parts a bit oversized. Here I am ripping down the dividers that will separate the panels. I cut them about a quarter inch wider than needed just in case there is some tension in the wood that is release and pulls them out of Square. This way I have room to re-joint the edge square and flat and rip them to the final size.
I’m using a little TiteBond wood glue in the dados. Then I gang them together in the clamps to dry.
This was a 2 step process here at the table saw. Cut the notch to length. Then cut it to the right depth.
I used the domino as my main joinery method.
My design incorporates a compound angle at the top of each leg. Do to the thickness of the material and the length of the compound angle my saw bottomed out before cutting all the way through the leg. So I came back with a handsaw and finished the cut.
I drove a nail on my center plot point and used a thin scrap of wood to bend around the nail to create the curve. Once I was happy with the shape I marked it out with a pencil and headed to the band saw.
I used my belt sander to smooth out the saw marks and refine the curve.
I test fitted it before taking it to the clients house. Because I have to fit it up a flight of stairs I am not gluing the legs on. They are being screwed on instead. The dominos are just there for alignment purposes
The strips of wood I used to hold the art panels in place where cut at a 2 degree angle on the outside edge. When attached to the frame, the drill would be angle away from the art and not scratch the panels.
When I pre drilled the screw holes, I used a custom jig that had a matching 2 degree angle in the dado to hold the strips parallel to the drill press table. This insured that all the holes were centered and at the proper angle to protect the art from being scratch during installation.
If you enjoyed reading this blog post, and want more Join me on Patreon.