If you are a woodworker and you don’t know who Tom Iavino is, you need to head over to Tom’s Workbench. Be sure to take your ear protection with you as Tom has the reputation to be the loudest guy in the room.
This year Tom started the Last Minute Elf contest. Its purpose is to simply get woodworkers out in their shops to build a special gift for someone and to share ideas of projects that could be completed in the last minute.
The rules where pretty straight forward.
Build a simple gift project that can be completed in a weekend in an average hobby workshop, and the design needs to be your own (not pulled directly from a commercially-produced plan). Submissions needed to include photos of completed project and shop drawings/instructions.
Be sure to select which category you want to submit it to:
1. Best Turned project
2. Greenest project (using recycled materials)
3. Best project that will fit inside a large USPS flat rate shipping box (12 inches x 12 inches x 5 1/2 inches)
4. Best gift for a younger child (ages to birth 12 years old)
5. Best gift for a Teenager (ages 13 – 20)
6. Best gift for an adult (20 or above)
Several well known companies in the woodworking world put up some great prizes to support the event.
• Wood Magazine is throwing in a box of six Two Cherries bench chisels
• Bessey Tools is throwing in a pair of 24″ Revo Jr. K-Body Clamps
• Infinity Cutting Tools’ six-piece router bit essentials kit.
• Fine Woodworking’s Basic Box Making DVD with Doug Stowe
• Two pairs of MicroJig’s Zero Play guide bars
• Popular Woodworking’s DVD of editions from 1995 – 2012 plus a one-year subscription I’m excited to say that my submission was chosen as one of the winners. Winning the popular woodworking DVD collection and a subscription.
I’m excited to say I won Thursday`s Last Minute Elf Project for a turned project. I won the Popular woodworking Magazine package!
Here is my submission.