I try never to build the same thing twice. The fun in woodworking for me is the design process, and each project starts with a sketch. For that, I have been using SketchUp as my main design tool for the last 10 years. I have learned a lot about SketchUp in those years which I put into this course tailored towards woodworkers. I will teach you the core 3d modeling tools and a workflow that makes sense for woodworkers. This workflow will help you develop your furniture designs, and work out joinery details such as dovetail drawers, and mortise and tenons
SketchUp is intuitive and fairly easy to work with, especially once you learn a good workflow and a few standard 3D modeling tools. Best of all, this Intro to SketchUp course focuses on the 100% FREE web-based version of SketchUp. If you are looking to drawer your own furniture designs or just want to get started with a 3D modeling program, this course will get you started on the right path.
Learn the basics of SketchUp from a guy who has spent the last decade design and building custom unique pieces of custom furniture for clients as well as helped design and detail plans for the Woodwhsiperer Guild. Brian Benham will use the FREE web version of SketchUp to teach you how the primary modeling tools work as well as how to establish an efficient workflow.
In this class, we will walk through each of the core 3d modeling tools and demonstrate how to use them along with a few tips and tricks to get the most out of the tools. From there we will draw a side table together. I will demonstrate how to taper legs in SketchUp, how to do cutout using the push-pull tool to create openings for drawers, layout dovetails, draw drawer boxes, and create a profile for the tabletop.
It is encouraged that you draw along and pause the video when needed. Once you complete this course you will be well on your way to drawing your own furniture designs.
What You Will Receive
- instructional videos totaling over 2 hours.
- Short-cut Key Cheat Sheets for Mac & PC.
- Access to the instructor for questions and clarifications.
- All videos are digital and will be available for download upon purchase.
What You Will Learn
- How to use the primary modeling tools in Sketchup.
- Best practices for 3d modeling in SketchUp.
- A workflow that keeps your project editable for future design changes.
- We will draw a full project together including tapered legs, aprons, mortise and tenon joinery, drawers, dovetails, pocket holes, and profiles.
- Design tips and tricks that are applicable to just about any SketchUp project including layout strategies and scenes.
What You Will Need
- A PC or Mac with a 3-button mouse. Trackpads are not ideal.
- An internet connection.
- A Trimble or Gmail account.
- The FREE web-based version of SketchUp.
Visit the Woodwhiperer Guild Website for more details on how to sign up for this course.